- Spinal Cord Injury An introduction for people new to spinal cord injury
- What is spinal cord injury Understanding the essence of spinal cord injury
- Understanding spinal cord injury Where is the injury? C4, C6 . . .
- Injury, effects and impacts Injuries to the spine have effects on the nervous system that lead to impacts in people's lives
- Rehabilitation The rehabilitation process from injury to living in the community
- Adjusting to spinal cord injury People's experiences of having spinal cord injury
- Attendant care challenges Challenges for people with spinal cord injury receiving attendant care
Attendant care challenges
Attendant care challenges include:
- Finding a service provider that understands spinal cord injury.
- Getting the right attendant carers.
- Getting any home modifications that are required before the person with the SCI can come home
- Dealing with the shock of having attendant carers coming into your home.
- Dealing with the impacts of the SCI on the person with SCI, other family members and friends.
- Keeping boundaries professional. Attendant carers are professional workers not friends or members of the family.
- Keeping focussed on goals. Ensuring that all the attendant care work is goal directed.
- Dealing with problems as they arise.
Suggestions for dealing with these challenges are in Getting Attendant Care Right